view:    desktop  |  mobile
Username:
Password:
remember me?
 Latest:
Help / Support | Settings | View or Edit your profile
Forum Level:
Just getting started
So much for the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun....
Is a good guy with a gun

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61600914

I would assume armed and trained police officers are top of the catagory "good guy with a gun"

If this thread breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Merica

If this reply breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
Just getting started
Here's a case where the good guy with a gun was a female.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61615236

It's also worth noting that most mass shootings happen in gun-free zones and an armed teacher might have made a difference in each case.
Although Biden is bleating about the shooting, he was one of the original sponsors of the gun-free school zones in 1990.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
Good guy
During WWII , Americans sacrificed. Men went to war, women went to work building supplies for the war effort. They even had to ration things to provide for the war effort. And now, longer waiting periods and more extensive background checks are just too much cause I'm a law abiding citizen? Omg. God forbid, that I be inconvenienced at all. WTF America.
I am NOT saying AR 15's should be banned either. But we can and should do better. They said the Uvalde shooter bought his on his 18th birthday. Maybe , just maybe, if he had to wait 60 or 90 days he would have cooled off or change his mind. Ik you will never keep all guns from people that should not have them, but shouldn't we at least make an effort?

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
theinfidel said: Here's a case where the good guy with a gun was a female.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61615236

It's also worth noting that most mass shootings happen in gun-free zones and an armed teacher might have made a difference in each case.
Although Biden is bleating about the shooting, he was one of the original sponsors of the gun-free school zones in 1990.

Civilized countries like Canada, UK, Australia, Italy, France, New Zealand et al. don't have gun free zones either and they don't have mass murders. They have sensible national gun laws, so they don't need "gun free zones".

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Forum Level:
Super Contributor
Forum Level:
Regular Contributor

Forum Level:
Just getting started
Don't need gun control, just people control
I agree that something should be done to prevent dumb asses from shooting up children at a gun free zone. The guy who shot up the El Paso Walmart is still awaiting trail after 3 years (can you just imagine that!!). It's this type of non-justice that keep all the mentally ill to keep on committing these atrocities. If i was in charge, I would have already hung the guy at the Down town plaza for all to see, so other criminals would think twice about their upcoming intentions. I have always advocated arming an individul and posting them at the schools to deter these criminals. Now I have to arm myself when I go to a grocery store (and I'm carrying with a licence and have had training as well) and it shouldn't have to be this way. The morality of today's society just doesn't exist anymore, manners have been reduced to a "Fuck you" when you get cut off in traffic or an ass just a line to the counter. It has gotten to the point of that the common person doesn't have any empathy or respect for others, a Dog eat Dog mentality. I'm so glad that I'm an old man and can still defend myself from maggots in the street and shoot them dead if I'm threatened with my life or serious harm, I'm past the point of turning the other cheek; I can afford to go to prison for killing a maggot/assailant and I would not hesitate to do it. It is my fear for my grand childern that I have chills about, having to put up with this "easy on crime" and "give them a second chance" crap from bleeding hearts. I'm so sick of it. I just hope that you young folks straighten this out soon for your own sakes. Good luck and carry a big stick ! curse

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Or you could just move to a civilised country .......

Forum Level:
Just getting started
Good guy
The day after the Uvalde shooting my social media feed was full of pro gun/ 2nd ammendment posts.
WTF America! Seriously??
Can the 19 families have just one day to mourn the loss of their child before you start whining about " Your rights?" FUCK!! Where's the compassion in this country!

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
MrsTrellis said: Or you could just move to a civilised country .......

Sure, we could move to any one of the civilized countries on your continent who continue to fund Putin's terror bombing and slaughter of innocent people, through your continued Russian oil and gas purchases.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
Gun control…..hmmmm
In 2019, all murders using rifles (including AR’s) nationwide were under 500.
We now have over 100,000 folks dying of drug overdoses each year.
So, what’s a real problem and what’s just hysteria???
Oh yeah, drug manufacturing and trafficking are illegal at all levels. How’s that working out??

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
raylynn99 said: In 2019, all murders using rifles (including AR’s) nationwide were under 500.
We now have over 100,000 folks dying of drug overdoses each year.
So, what’s a real problem and what’s just hysteria???
Oh yeah, drug manufacturing and trafficking are illegal at all levels. How’s that working out??

Murders using rifles are only a small part of the overall gun problem. When you take into account suicides and murders using other types of firearms, the fact that there are far too many firearms on the streets of the US becomes clearer and more realistic.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

Forum Level:
Just getting started
Gun crime
You ignored the illegal drug situation.
Suicide is suicide; a gun is just one way to get it done. How about folks who use drugs of all types to commit suicide?
When murder rates for inner city hood rats are removed, America is a very safe place.
Judges and DA’s who are soft on crime , especially gun crimes, are big contributors to the problem also.

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
raylynn99 said: You ignored the illegal drug situation.
Suicide is suicide; a gun is just one way to get it done. How about folks who use drugs of all types to commit suicide?
When murder rates for inner city hood rats are removed, America is a very safe place.
Judges and DA’s who are soft on crime , especially gun crimes, are big contributors to the problem also.

Yes, I ignored your deviation from the topic of the gun situation to drugs. They are two completely different scenarios. Yes, guns are just one way to commit suicide, but that isn't the point. The firearm death situation from either suicide or murder is way out of hand in the US and it's because there is a ratio of 120 guns to every 100 people in the country, which is ridiculous.

Obviously the rate of murders in densely populated cities is likely to be much greater than in the rural areas of the country, but America overall is NOT a "very safe place", certainly when compared to other advanced western democracies where there are sensible NATIONAL laws restricting guns, as you would realize if you took notice of all the graphs/tables in that article.

Yes, people use drugs. Yes people die because they use drugs, but most of those deaths would be accidental overdoses, not people using drugs with the intention of committing suicide, although admittedly that does happen. Most of the drugs used in intentional suicides would be drugs designed for other purposes (e.g. combatting illness or disease), whereas guns,especially what are generally referred to nowadays as "assault weapons", are specifically designed to kill or injure.

As far as the judicial system being tough on crime, America has the highest incarceration rate per head of population IN THE WORLD and is one of the very few western democracies where the death penalty is still carried out, so to say the system is "soft on crime" is hardly valid.

Forum Level:
Handle Me With Care
As for soft on crime.(uk)
It' costs a fortune to lock up someone.
As for me visiting The US,
Can I buy a Gun to defend myself when I get there ?

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Raven2005 said: As for soft on crime.(uk)
It' costs a fortune to lock up someone.
As for me visiting The US,
Can I buy a Gun to defend myself when I get there ?

You won't need one. Statistically, the chance or you, the tourist, getting shot is extremely low, probably lower than a US visitor to the UK being a victim of petty or violent crime. Really low.

I'm not trying to minimise the obvious gun violence issue we have here in the US, but statistically you have a very low chance of even hearing a gun fired anywhere, much less getting shot.

But to answer your question, Federal law apparently prohibits most foreigners and tourists from owning firearms. I think green card holders can own a firearm, because they are residents here, but tourists and other visitors generally can't. And a lot of gun laws are state and local, and those may vary, too.

Forum Level:
Regular Contributor
Pass as many laws as you want. It won't stop a maniac from getting his hands on a gun.

Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the country, yet it still has one of the highest (if not the highest) gun related crime and homicide rates of any US city.

There are more than 300 million guns in the United States. If guns were truly the problem, we would all be dead.

We have a mental health issue here that needs to be addressed.

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
ilovepussy said: Pass as many laws as you want. It won't stop a maniac from getting his hands on a gun.

Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the country, yet it still has one of the highest (if not the highest) gun related crime and homicide rates of any US city.

There are more than 300 million guns in the United States. If guns were truly the problem, we would all be dead.

Is your mental health issue is colossal compared to the rest of the first world then?

Forum Level:
Regular Contributor
MrsTrellis said:
ilovepussy said: Pass as many laws as you want. It won't stop a maniac from getting his hands on a gun.

Is your mental health issue is colossal compared to the rest of the first world then?

Well, I own 5 firearms and none of them have gone on a shooting spree so far.

My guess is that they won't because they can't!!

I'm not sure what the mental health issues are in other parts of the world. I'm more concerned about what's going on in my own backyard.

Forum Level:
Handle Me With Care
I guess that you have to defend yourself in your own back yard in a way that the situation outside prevails.

Forum Level:
Regular Contributor
Raven2005 said: I guess that you have to defend yourself in your own back yard in a way that the situation outside prevails.

4 out of the 5 firearms I own are for hunting and stay locked up.

The 5th is for protection should someone decide to break into our home.

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
There is a simple solution - the Supreme Court needs to declare that good guys must wear white hats and bad guys must wear black hats and that everybody must carry a gun. That way, when you hear a gunshot in a crowd and everybody pulls their guns and starts shooting, you know that only the bad guys are being "stopped" (or at least that they are the ones being aimed at in the crowd).

Forum Level:
Regular Contributor
clittylicker said: There is a simple solution - the Supreme Court needs to declare that good guys must wear white hats and bad guys must wear black hats and that everybody must carry a gun. That way, when you hear a gunshot in a crowd and everybody pulls their guns and starts shooting, you know that only the bad guys are being "stopped" (or at least that they are the ones being aimed at in the crowd).

Or the issue could be handled in adult manner and taken seriously!!

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
ilovepussy said:
clittylicker said: There is a simple solution - the Supreme Court needs to declare that good guys must wear white hats and bad guys must wear black hats and that everybody must carry a gun. That way, when you hear a gunshot in a crowd and everybody pulls their guns and starts shooting, you know that only the bad guys are being "stopped" (or at least that they are the ones being aimed at in the crowd).

Or the issue could be handled in adult manner and taken seriously!!

Absolutely right, but when you have people who ignore the reality that the problem is too many guns and not psychiatric problems or too many doors, perhaps the only way to combat such wilful ignorance is to come down to their level of silliness.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
I was just now discussing the minimal requirement of requiring to be 21 to own an assault rifle and I get back we already have too many laws in the USA and it’s not going to work. When I replied that the USA has many more gun deaths per capita than other Western countries he replied that depends on what you read
When someone goes down the path of conspiracy theories and alternate facts you just got to stop talking rational and walk away. You are just wasting time then.

Help / Contact | Rules |  Terms of use / disclaimer | webmasters | Epoch Billing Support | Privacy Policy | DMCA / Takedown Request
18 U.S.C. 2257 Record-Keeping Requirements Compliance Statement
Page generated in 0.47 seconds