Forum - The Sexiest Forum on the net - NewbieNudes

User not found

This user could not be found. They may have deleted their account.

View full profile

User not found

This user could not be found. They may have deleted their account.

Heterosexual
Lesbian
Gay
TV / TG / CD
Live Cams
Free photo hosting
view:    desktop  |  mobile
Username:
Password:
remember me?
 Latest:
Help / Support | Settings | View or Edit your profile
Forum Level:
Super Contributor
Arabic Numerals

Is this really bigotry or just plain ignorance?

Discuss. smile

If this thread breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
Active Contributor
To assume the reason people don't want it taught is bigotry is the ignorant thing in that post.

If this reply breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
Super Contributor
masterstoy91 said: To assume the reason people don't want it taught is bigotry is the ignorant thing in that post.

So you're assuming that most of the 56% of the people who answered "No" really are that ignorant?

Forum Level:
Handle Me With Care
" Arabic numerals are the ten digits: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. ... The term Arabic numerals is ambiguous, it may also be intended to mean the numerals used by Arabs, in which case it generally refers to the Eastern Arabic numerals.
?Hindu–Arabic numeral system · ?Eastern Arabic numerals · ?Abjad numerals "

What's up with the Romans ?

confused

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Bigotry? Perhaps on the part of some, but it's probably at least partially due to the way the question was presented.

It is a result of the failure of education in America -- especially the result of not teaching History adequately.

They wouldn't care about "Arabic numerals" if they had been taught what an Arabic numeral was, and why Arabic numerals were adopted in Europe.

I doubt a lot of people know what Roman numerals are, or the way Greeks used letters as numerals.

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
milfchaser said: Bigotry? Perhaps on the part of some, but it's probably at least partially due to the way the question was presented.

It is a result of the failure of education in America -- especially the result of not teaching History adequately.

They wouldn't care about "Arabic numerals" if they had been taught what an Arabic numeral was, and why Arabic numerals were adopted in Europe.

I doubt a lot of people know what Roman numerals are, or the way Greeks used letters as numerals.

That was my point really - the survey guy seems to attribute the No votes to bigotry, but I wonder how much of that 56% is bigotry. Undoubtedly some of it is, but much of it is probably due to not knowing that the numbers they use every day are, in fact, Arabic numerals.

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
milfchaser said: Bigotry? Perhaps on the part of some, but it's probably at least partially due to the way the question was presented.

They are tearing down statues cause they want to erase the past.

Many times poll takers like to arrange words in a certain way so they get the outcome they were looking for.

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
clittylicker said:

That was my point really - the survey guy seems to attribute the No votes to bigotry, but I wonder how much of that 56% is bigotry. Undoubtedly some of it is, but much of it is probably due to not knowing that the numbers they use every day are, in fact, Arabic numerals.

Bigotry? You kidding me? It is kinda like asking if anyone wants to learn how to learn Russian. If you don`t want to is that bigotry? Why would you want to learn it. Would it benefit you? If not, maybe learn a language that will.

Good lord, it everything related to bigotry?

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
cartoongirl said:
clittylicker said:

Bigotry? You kidding me? It is kinda like asking if anyone wants to learn how to learn Russian. If you don`t want to is that bigotry? Why would you want to learn it. Would it benefit you? If not, maybe learn a language that will.

LMAO!! No, it's absolutely nothing like asking if anyone wants to learn Russian.

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
cartoongirl said:
clittylicker said:

How would you have answered the question, and why?

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
clittylicker said:
cartoongirl said:
clittylicker said:

How would you have answered the question, and why?

Without thinking I would have said NO. Why? Cause why should we have to learn Arabic.

If I thought for moment I would have said we already teach Arabic numerals. Sometimes I wonder if they teach numbers in schools now anyhow. If you go to a checkout and the cash register got messed up the cashier more than not can`t count change and i have got to do it for her or him.

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
clittylicker said:
masterstoy91 said: To assume the reason people don't want it taught is bigotry is the ignorant thing in that post.

So you're assuming that most of the 56% of the people who answered "No" really are that ignorant?

Ummmmmmmmmm, why couldn`t 56% be ignorant when seventy-one percent of young people are ineligible to join the military, according to 2017 Pentagon data. The reasons: obesity, no high school diploma or a criminal record.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
reading everything in the box relating to the question it seems to me that the pole is ridiculous to start with

sample size is tiny, a statement also relating to "weighting" in regards to a US census for gender and age?

most people in any country would not know the origin of the numeric system and numerals 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
in an English dominated country I would assume that the first thought of a number of people would be why do we or would we learn a foreign system?

for me the pole "makers" set it up with an outcome in mind that they wanted and posed it so they were confident to get the results they were after
and as such any "conclusions" made from the results are just as rubbish as the pole itself

sadly some people just want to set things up to prove themselves right or prove others wrong and truth has gone out the window

2c

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
ausfoIey said: reading everything in the box relating to the question it seems to me that the pole is ridiculous to start with

sample size is tiny, a statement also relating to "weighting" in regards to a US census for gender and age?

most people in any country would not know the origin of the numeric system and numerals 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
in an English dominated country I would assume that the first thought of a number of people would be why do we or would we learn a foreign system?

for me the pole "makers" set it up with an outcome in mind that they wanted and posed it so they were confident to get the results they were after
and as such any "conclusions" made from the results are just as rubbish as the pole itself

sadly some people just want to set things up to prove themselves right or prove others wrong and truth has gone out the window

2c

It's a "poll", not a pole, and yes it is a very small sample. I also questioned his conclusion that the 56% who answered No are necessarily bigoted. However, I think they probably fall into several categories: 1. As CG suggested, the No answer was given before really thinking about it. 2. people were ignorant of the fact that the numbers they are taught in school are in fact Arabic numbers. 3. In that second group there were indeed a significant number who heard only the word "Arabic" and said NO out of ignorance/bigotry.

Incidentally, I went to a small country bush town school in Australia and I was taught at a very young age that our numbers were Arabic in origin.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
clittylicker said:
ausfoIey said: reading everything in the box relating to the question it seems to me that the pole is ridiculous to start with

2c

It's a "poll", not a pole, and yes it is a very small sample. I also questioned his conclusion that the 56% who answered No are necessarily bigoted. However, I think they probably fall into several categories: 1. As CG suggested, the No answer was given before really thinking about it. 2. people were ignorant of the fact that the numbers they are taught in school are in fact Arabic numbers. 3. In that second group there were indeed a significant number who heard only the word "Arabic" and said NO out of ignorance/bigotry.

Incidentally, I went to a small country bush town school in Australia and I was taught at a very young age that our numbers were Arabic in origin.

spelling and English were never my strong point, very sorry for the error pole me to death over the poll LOL

and not having a go at you but Australian schools do not teach what they used to teach
things I was taught in school (my schooling was in the 1970's-1980's) my offspring who are still in school have not and are not being taught the same things I was

yes I do agree with all you said also, sorry I will refrain from commenting again as I added nothing to the conversation

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
LOL, Oh for the days of the 3 Rs. Make Education Great Again. wink

Forum Level:
Active Contributor

No I'm assuming as with most online polls at least half the respondents were trolling and that the original twit only wanted it to be bigotry. You can find bigotry everywhere if you look for it through the right lens.

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
masterstoy91 said:

No I'm assuming as with most online polls at least half the respondents were trolling and that the original twit only wanted it to be bigotry. You can find bigotry everywhere if you look for it through the right lens.

I agree, he got the answers that his question was designed to get and that his conclusion was only partly right.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
I can't believe I read all the way to the bottom of this thread.

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
sidders73 said: I can't believe I read all the way to the bottom of this thread.

LOL you're obviously bored. wink

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
I just came in to use the quote button.

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
Wodja said: I just came in to use the quote button.

What quote button? smile

Forum Level:
Just getting started
Another poll question was worded: “Should schools in America teach the creation theory of Catholic priest George Lemaitre as part of their science curriculum?”
Seventy-three per cent of Democrats answered “no”, compared to 33 per cent of Republicans – with some respondents on either side presumably assuming Lemaitre’s theory was related to intelligent design.
In fact, the Belgian priest was also a physicist who first discovered the universe was expanding and proposed its origins lay in the explosion of a single particle - an idea that became known as the Big Bang theory.
“While Lemaitre is more obscure than Arabic numerals, the resulting effect is almost identical,” Mr Dick said. “Dems are biased against Western religion, if latently.
“This kind of blind prejudice can happen on both sides.” (independent uk)

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Arabic numbers were really invented in India. They passed through the Arab world to Europe.

It was in Europe that the modern rules for arithmetic were invented.

Once I read about a earlier methods for performing multiplication and division. The older methods worked, but they were much more difficult than what I learned in elementary school (which was difficult enough for me. blushing )

More recently I took a course in the C++ computer language. One of our assignments was to take an Arabic number and translate it to a Roman number, and to take a Roman number and translate it to an Arabic number. That assignment taught me to appreciate Arabic numbers. They are a considerable improvement over Roman numbers.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
My post is number XXV. Last time I checked stores didn't offer that size.

Forum Level:
Regular Contributor
As with most polls, who did the polling, who they polled and how the questions are put have a great influence on the results. I'm guessing that poll was conducted in a manner to give a predetermined result.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
Teach them to read
Public schools should concentrate on teaching the kids to read. Numbers and math come naturally as they watch their older brothers sell crack and meth.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
lennynatural said: As with most polls, who did the polling, who they polled and how the questions are put have a great influence on the results. I'm guessing that poll was conducted in a manner to give a predetermined result.

Agreed!

It's impossible to know the reason behind any of the three answers but I would say that the failure of education is mostly responsible because Arabic numerals were invented by mathematicians in India where they were originally called “Hindu numerals" before their introduction to the West by Arab merchants.

The poll was pointless because the world cannot function without our current number system and the author clearly wants to accuse the 56% of bigotry rather than ignorance; not realizing that the association of Arabic & Islam would apply equally to all the respondents.

I suspect that the author would accuse me of Islamophobia for saying that Sharia law has no place in any civilized society.

DanajustDana
The thing that mystifies me the most is, why would we teach this when most Arabic countries no longer use them.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
Try doing long division with Roman numerals. And there is no zero. MCMLXII divided by DXII. Good luck!