Username:
Password:
remember me?
 Latest:
Help / Support | Settings | View or Edit your profile
Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Censorship
Note: this thread may be suitable for the Elon one but this is more about free speech.

So, Brazil's Supreme Court affirms a ban on X in that country.

France has the founder of Telegram incarcerated at present.

The EU wants to arrest American citizens posting "unapproved" comments on social media.

American VP Harris said in 2019 that social media platforms speak " directly" to people and as such should be heavily regulated too.

The list is endless in examples but it comes down to what Musk said about social media platforms being "town hall" and how is democracy served by censorship?????

If this thread breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
Active Contributor
If censored or controlled speech, which a lot of people seem to want, is democratic, then the USSR was a modern, working democracy.

Choking off freedom of speech goes against the notion of democracy. William O. Douglas knew this. Louis Brandeis knew this. And neither of those two justices were in favor of any form of hate speech.

As for Elon and Brazil, I doubt Brazil's blocking it is going to hurt X very much. Brazil only has 21 million X users. The US, Japan, UK, India, Indonesia, Germany, France, Mexico, and Canada combined have 309 million. The next 10 or 15 countries have another 50 million.

The top Twitter influencers *each* have around 5 times the followers that Brazil has total X/Twitter users. So any negative effect on X the company is overblown.

But yeah. You can't have a healthy democracy when you stifle speech. As Justice Douglas said -- the correct way to combat bad speech or hate speech is by drowning it out with more good speech and accurate speech.

If this reply breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
A Thinker
The thing that is still funny to me...
about all of this is the political leaders of this movement always talk about reforming section 230 which PROTECTS those platforms by being sued by individuals for what people post on them. Reforming section 230 would lead to an immense increase in censorship on section 230

I've been censored plenty of times on Twitter/X and other social media platforms. I fully expect it will always happen whether the site if private or public. Government, private owners with strong political views, sites depending upon advertising, owners afraid of being sued (see the story below) will always lead to censorship of one sort or another. TBH I don't worry about it much. Platforms can restrict what I say but there are plenty of venues in which it can still be said

If you are interested in this topic a recent court case is very important to follow as it gets to the core of all of this: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/us-court-revives-tiktok-lawsuit-over-10-year-old-girl-s-blackout-challenge-death/ar-AA1pBlcM

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
dziga said: about all of this is the political leaders of this movement always talk about reforming section 230 which PROTECTS those platforms by being sued by individuals for what people post on them. Reforming section 230 would lead to an immense increase in censorship on section 230

I've been censored plenty of times on Twitter/X and other social media platforms. I fully expect it will always happen whether the site if private or public. Government, private owners with strong political views, sites depending upon advertising, owners afraid of being sued (see the story below) will always lead to censorship of one sort or another. TBH I don't worry about it much. Platforms can restrict what I say but there are plenty of venues in which it can still be said

If you are interested in this topic a recent court case is very important to follow as it gets to the core of all of this: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/us-court-revives-tiktok-lawsuit-over-10-year-old-girl-s-blackout-challenge-death/ar-AA1pBlcM

Algorithms as a form of speech, and actionable..... That's a headspinner right there. Makes sense, though.

A lot of people online condemn Section 230 without thinking it through. If Section 230 is removed, the internet as we know it will have no free speech whatsoever, because every forum and social media will be afraid of litigation over any little thing said about a person, company, or product. If people think that websites are heavy handed now with their blocking of posts, wait until Section 230 is removed. They ain't seen nothin' yet.

Anyone who thinks that it's tough for free speech right now isn't thinking it through when they attack Section 230.

But this concept of an algorithm (which suggested a social media posting to a little girl who died largely because of it) being a form of speech --- I didn't see that coming. Algorithmic suggestion being actionable for damages in court because it's a form of 'speech'..... Whatever attorneys were behind that argument were quite sharp, really. Too often algorithms used by websites and online media are just blindly accepted as is.

This case you posted could be a game changer if it gets challenged and makes its way to the Supreme Court.

Thanks for posting the link, Dziga.

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Algorithm
If Algorithms are speech then Resistance is Futile. AI is coming alright.

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
I have profiles on several internet websites. I have learned what I am allowed to say on each. NN does not like anything controversial, so I do not post it here.

I do post respectful compliments to the ladies who appeal to me. love